[ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 21:30:06 +0100

>> "Paul" == Paul Seelig <pseelig@rumbero.es> writes:

   > On 11/14/2014 09:12 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Thanks for pointing this out. I must say the switch from 2.5 to 3 did
   >> not cause any notable performance burst, however I replaced my HDD by  a
   >> SSD and this was a big performance improvement.

   > In most cases, adding a SSD is the best performance measure one can
   > apply to a given machine, as even the fastest HDD is usually still the
   > worst bottleneck. Once i tried my first SSD, i was completely hooked.
   > Now all my machines are using SSD's as their main drive, while the
   > former HDD's are used only for storage and backup purposes.

I presume that you do this with a external USB adapter? I thought to do
the same, but given that the prices for USB stick are dropping
dramatically I am not sure whether it is worth the effort.

   > Once you get used to it, it becomes pretty easy to disassemble and
   > reassemble a Thinkpadin order to replace a mainboard. Thanks to the very
   > detailed hardware maintenance manuals (HMM) provided by Lenovo for their
   > Thinkpads, and also for specific user provided Frankenpad guides, it is
   > in fact just a matter of reading comprehension and just doing it.

Is this somehow connected to certain BIOS upgrade for getting
performance bursts? Like the one described in
http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/459591-t61-x61-sata-ii-1-5-gb-s-cap-willing-pay-solution-8.html#post6501443

   > There even has grown a small crafts industry of people creating such
   > Frankenpads from older Thinkpads, but with a much better feature set
   > than those originally sold by Lenovo. Some even do this for a living.

Hm some weeks ago I wanted to buy a X1, since it looked like a very
attractive mixture between lightweight+13 inch screen+ssd, but to my
*horror* I found out that Lenovo had the brain-damaged idea to change
the keyboard. :'(

I don't mean that they changed the typing mechanism or the size of the
keys, no I mean the distribution is changed dramatically, important keys
are missing.

Since I am a touch typist using the same keyboard  for the last 15 years,
this is as close to disaster as it gets.

I don't think there is any hope that Lenovo will see reason and will
offer, at least, a Thinkpad with the classical keyboard. So I might be
forced to buy in the future second hand models and if high tuned even
better, so I might come back to you..... :-D

Uwe