[ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit)

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:58:34 +0100

On 11/14/2014 09:30 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I presume that you do this with a external USB adapter? I thought to do
> the same, but given that the prices for USB stick are dropping
> dramatically I am not sure whether it is worth the effort.

One of the reasons i never bothered about the X models is the absence of
the UltraBay included with the larger T models. Typically, when sold,
the UltraBay is occupied with a nowadays rather useless optical drive.
Instead, lots of users use the Ultrabay either for a secondary battery
or HDD adapter, which can stay permanently installed if required. I
wouldn't really want to bother with USB sticks, given that the higher
capacity ones .

> Is this somehow connected to certain BIOS upgrade for getting
> performance bursts? Like the one described in
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/459591-t61-x61-sata-ii-1-5-gb-s-cap-willing-pay-solution-8.html#post6501443

This is a BIOS mod for Santa Rosa chipset based Thinkpads T61 and X61 to
release and enable the artifically limited SATA II capability of the
chipset. Unfortunately does not also apply to the former *60 Thinkpad
variation. I apply this BIOS to every T61 that goes through my hands.

Nonetheless, the performance boost is slightly overestimated in my
opionion. While it enables the full SATA II potential for transfer
speed, this is hardky what makes SSD's so attractive. The added benefit
and most important performance boost of SSD's is due to the superior
random access times, which are not subjet to any SATA speed level. Any
SATA I level Thinkpad will always tremendously benefit from those higher
random access times.

> attractive mixture between lightweight+13 inch screen+ssd, but to my
> *horror* I found out that Lenovo had the brain-damaged idea to change
> the keyboard. :'(

Not only this. They also sacrificed the very convenient UXGA IPS
displays of the 15" T60 models, which is one of the main reasons i
joined the Frankenpad builder league. For people like me, machines of
the T6* generation are already fast enough for my actual requirements
(which do not include Youtube or gaming), and i am not interested in any
newer Thinkpads missing the much more convenient display resolution and
keyboard options. Apparently, i am not alone. ;)

> I don't think there is any hope that Lenovo will see reason and will
> offer, at least, a Thinkpad with the classical keyboard. So I might be
> forced to buy in the future second hand models and if high tuned even
> better, so I might come back to you..... :-D

Feel free to contact me off list if the need arises.

Regards,
Paul