[fstab: noatime?] (was: [ltp] X60s 4 GB RAM PAE only 3 recognized (64 Bit))

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:47:21 +0100

   > On 11/14/2014 09:30 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[snip]

   > Nonetheless, the performance boost is slightly overestimated in my
   > opionion. While it enables the full SATA II potential for transfer
   > speed, this is hardky what makes SSD's so attractive. The added benefit
   > and most important performance boost of SSD's is due to the superior
   > random access times, which are not subjet to any SATA speed level. Any
   > SATA I level Thinkpad will always tremendously benefit from those higher
   > random access times.

BTW, I read that it is advisable to have the following setting in one's
fstab

UUID=blbla / jfs     nodiratime,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

 nodiratime and noatime should prolong the life expectation of the SSD
without much performance loss.

What do you think?

Uwe