[ltp] Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31

John Magolske linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Oct 2014 01:18:38 -0700

Hi,

I have an X31 ThinkPad on which I've installed Debian Stable 7.6.0.
Getting suspend-to-ram is turning out to be a major PITA. I typed
the following into a Linux console:

    rmmod ehci_hcd uhci_hcd ipw2100
    pm-suspend --quirk-radeon-off

The screen turns off for a brief moment, then comes back on with the
little crescent-moon indicator lit as well. Then, when woken, the the
screen goes off altogether and the Caps lock indicator light starts
blinking. Reading through PM-ACTION(8), I see there all sorts of
"quirks" to try out... I've tried various combinations of the above
along with --quirk-dpms-suspend --quirk-s3-bios --quirk-s3-mode etc...
The only way I can get the display to turn off is by issuing the
command `radeontool light off` just before the pm-suspend command.

And in all cases, this laptop will not wake from it's sleep.

The video card is a "mobility radeon 7000".

This is a 3.2.0 kernel:

    uname -a
    ... 3.2.0-4-486 #1 Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 i686 GNU/Linux

and the most recent BIOS [1]:

    dmidecode -s bios-version
     1QET97WW (3.02 )

Anyone out there successfully suspending to RAM an X31?

Any clues much appreciated!

John

----

[1] Seems to be current per:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade_Downloads
btw, that points to a dead link:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-50298
Lenovo seems to have a lot of dead links around BIOS updates for older
machines ... you can find the page archived on archive.org's wayback
machine and pull the BIOS Update Utility download from there.

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact