[ltp] Trying to get Suspend to RAM working on an X31

Jochen Spieker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 20:22:22 +0200

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

Richard Neill:
> On 09/10/14 16:14, John Magolske wrote:
>> * Dan Saint-Andre <saint@grillongroup.org> [141004 15:39]:
>>>
>>> The last time I fought this issue, I learned that suspend-to-RAM
>>> [aka, sleep] required a suitable swap space.
>=20
> I don't think it does.

You are right. I don't have any swap at all any my X240 suspends (and
resumes) just fine.=20

The only issue I had recently was related to xscreensaver locking my
screen before suspend. It looked like resume failed (black screen, only
mouse cursor visible) but killing xscreensaver helped. I found many
others with similar problems. But that won't help the OP since he
doesn't run X.

> 1. Sometimes kernel modesetting can be a problem.

ACK, on old machines it might be worth a try to disable KMS.

> One final thing: it's not always clear whether the X-server and GPU
> are crashed while the kernel is alive. When the machine is
> non-responsive, can you at least ping it? Debugging sleep scripts is
> much easier over SSH (especially if you configure a static IP with
> wired ethernet: your SSH connection should survive a sleep/wake
> cycle if it is quick enough).

ACK, see my experience above.

J.
--=20
If politics is the blind leading the blind, entertainment is the fucked-
up leading the hypnotised.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs--