[ltp] Selecting a new Thinkpad

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 04 Sep 2014 00:41:49 +0100

On 03/09/14 23:13, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>   ❦  3 septembre 2014 16:40 -0400, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> :
>
>>> the clickpad situation is a little more bearable with the new
>>> xf86-input-synaptics
>>> and a newish kernel.  that said, it is still unacceptable (as tested on a
>>> co-worker laptop).
>>
>> Have you tried with something like this?  It makes the trackpad work
>> more like buttons (since I prefer using the J-stick to control the
>> mouse pointer anyway).
>
> Well, I have just turn the clickpad into a giant button area. I have
> also patched synaptics driver with this patch to disable move but keep
> gestures to get scrolling with two fingers:
>   http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2014-June/056689.html
>
> But I am missing the wheel mouse emulation. I will try with 1.8.0 if it
> works.

Ive limited experience of the s/ware you describe, but I can imput the
following.
  I Used a Dell Latitude D800 for some 3 yrs, came to me in a part ex.
It was well made tho in the Dell ethos, not anywhere as good as a IBM
thinkpad.  It had its processor limitations so found after much
searching a T61P by lenovo Thinkpad. I have used this for  around a year
and it has been an excellent replacement. Tho the s/ware im using is
quite ordinary, its Linux mint.
Now my son who is involved in IT has just bought a s/hand Dell. The
highest spec tho as its with him currently in China i cant say exactly
the model. Its a real step up and is better than the current Thinkpads
for build quality. He said the new price was in the region of 1500 gbp.

Ted.