[ltp] Selecting a new Thinkpad

Tue, 9 Sep 2014 10:23:51 +0100

> Have you tried with something like this?  It makes the trackpad work
> more like buttons (since I prefer using the J-stick to control the
> mouse pointer anyway).
> 					- Ted

Thanks for this (below) - it's really helpful.
[The clickpad acts *only* as 3 big buttons (L,Mid,R) over the entire zone;
it ignores any form of 1/2/3 finger movements or taps].

Is there any way to combine it with EmulateWheel, so that a middle-button
press, combined with a trackpoint-movement will give Hor/vert scrolling?

I normally use xinput to do this, but it isn't supported:
THE_ID=11   #use xinput list to find this on your machine.
xinput set-prop $THE_ID "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 1
xinput set-prop $THE_ID "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 2

Thanks,

Richard

P.S. Also, I've appended my own trackpoint.sh, which may be helpful to
those who would like to make the pointing stick a bit more sensitive. The
negative-inertia setting is worth experimenting with: it effectively
prevents overshoot.

> # modified from stuff taken from:
> # https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics#Synclient
> #
> https://stuffivelearned.org/doku.php?id=os:linux:general:synapticstouchtricks
>
> synclient RightButtonAreaTop=0
> synclient RightButtonAreaRight=4858
> synclient RightButtonAreaBottom=5000
> synclient RightButtonAreaLeft=3500
>
> synclient MiddleButtonAreaTop=0
> synclient MiddleButtonAreaRight=3499
> synclient MiddleButtonAreaBottom=5000
> synclient MiddleButtonAreaLeft=2800
>
> synclient coastingFriction=50
> synclient coastingSpeed=15
>
> #synclient areaTopEdge=0
> #synclient areaLeftEdge=4858
> #synclient VertEdgeScroll=1
> #synclient HorizEdgeScroll=1
>
> synclient areaTopEdge=6000
> synclient areaLeftEdge=0
> synclient VertEdgeScroll=0
> synclient HorizEdgeScroll=0
> --

--- begin trackpoint.sh --

#Find and configure the trackpoint.
TP_SENSITIVITY="/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio*/serio*/sensitivity"

#Find the device. It's usually serio1/serio2, but look for the sensitivity
control for a positive ID.
if [ ! -f "$(echo $TP_SENSITIVITY)" ]; then
        echo "Error: cannot find trackpoint at '$TP_SENSITIVITY'; giving
up"; exit 1
else
        tp=$(dirname $TP_SENSITIVITY);
fi

#Set trackpoint sensitivity to highest.
echo "Making trackpoint more sensitive..."
sudo sh -c "echo -n 255 > $tp/sensitivity"      #Makes it a very light
touch. Default: 128
sudo sh -c "echo -n 255 > $tp/speed"            #Not much effect.
sudo sh -c "echo -n 3   > $tp/inertia"          #Negative inertia.
Default: 6. Prevents overshoot.

#Note that the TP also supports an optional "press-to-select" feature,
where tapping it acts like a left-click. This is the "press_to_select"
control in the same directory.

--- end trackpoint.sh ----