SV: Re: [ltp] X1 firs/second generation, X230 or X240 new keyboard design

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:08:40 +0200

>> "birger" == birger  <Birger> writes:

   > I have had the gen 1 and currently have the gen 2.

Do you know whether 1 gen is still available?

   > The keyboard is a very good one physically. Especially when seeing
   > how thin it is.

   > The layout changes take a little time getting used to. The biggest one
   > is really the backspace key, as you are so used to it being further to
   > the right. On the other hand that placement of the del key is logical.
   > I use it more often now.

So the have eliminated the del key? What for? What is the benefit of
removing keys.??

   > Caps lock was wasted space anyway. Double press on shift works just
   > fine for me.

I big to differ, I swap this key with the control key, which makes
control much easier to access and then may caps lock to the hyper
modifier (using this for lisp functions within Xemacs). So all this I
cannot use anymore, what a disaster. The benefit of a larger screen does
not compensate for the loss of the most basic tool, the keyboard. I
might end up buying second hand X300 or X200/61.

Uwe Brauer