[ltp] X1 firs/second generation, X230 or X240 new keyboard design

Ben Bacarisse linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Sep 2014 20:06:46 +0100

Uwe Brauer <oub.oub.oub@gmail.com> writes:

>>> "Richard" == Richard Neill <rn214@richardneill.org> writes:
>
>    >> I am still stunned about the brain damaged new keyboard design as seen in
>    >> the X1 first/second generation.[1]
>
>    > In my experience, the keyboard design is actually not so bad. It's not
>    > ideal, but at least it's quite decently solid to type on. The keyboard
>    > layout re-mapping is tolerable, though I do hate the e-ink Function
>    > keys (they feel really sluggish to respond).
>
>    > (The loss of SysRQ and PrtSc is not a big deal - they still exist as
>    > chorded combinations. There is a win, in the shape of the Ctrl-key
>    > being moved right to the bottom-left-corner, where Fn used to be, and
>    > at least PgDn and PgUp (merged with arrow keys) are less dangerous
>    > than the PgRight/PgLeft keys that they replace)
>
> I big to differ. I am using thinkpads for the last 12 years, and spent
> 95% of my time in (X)Emacs where I have bound all sort of lisp functions
> to keys,

Ack.  The keys some people call wasted space are, to me, a valuable
resource!  I used to have Menu, Scroll Lock, Pause, Back and Forward
bound to useful things.  On my latest ThinkPad I am left with only Caps
Lock, Fn and PrtSc and it looks like some of these are on the way out.
As keys get removed I am left with a less functional machine.

And does the fact that the right-hand Alt in picture in the linked
article is not marked AltGr mean that it is, indeed, no longer AltGr?  I
like and use AltGr too!

<snip>
--
Ben.