[ltp] X1 firs/second generation, X230 or X240 new keyboard design

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:02:54 +0200

>> "Richard" == Richard Neill <rn214@richardneill.org> writes:

   >> I am still stunned about the brain damaged new keyboard design as seen in
   >> the X1 first/second generation.[1]

   > In my experience, the keyboard design is actually not so bad. It's not
   > ideal, but at least it's quite decently solid to type on. The keyboard
   > layout re-mapping is tolerable, though I do hate the e-ink Function
   > keys (they feel really sluggish to respond).

   > (The loss of SysRQ and PrtSc is not a big deal - they still exist as
   > chorded combinations. There is a win, in the shape of the Ctrl-key
   > being moved right to the bottom-left-corner, where Fn used to be, and
   > at least PgDn and PgUp (merged with arrow keys) are less dangerous
   > than the PgRight/PgLeft keys that they replace)

I big to differ. I am using thinkpads for the last 12 years, and spent
95% of my time in (X)Emacs where I have bound all sort of lisp functions
to keys,
I switch control and capslock and then I use all sort of combinations
of Shift, or control or super (the win key) or hyper (the control key) +
Fn or print or insert etc. So loosing these keys is like learning a
completely new  and inferior  keyboard and frankly I don't see the
benefit. (As it is said in the article I cite)

While the X1 first generation is bad but not hopeless the same cannot be
said about the second generation which brings me back to my original
question is the X1 first generation still available?