[ltp] thinkwiki registration? unofficial max mem report

Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:17:37 +0900

Hi rappard,

rappard@dds.nl writes:

>> Thinkpad: x200s 7465-RH6
>> official max: 4GB
>> unofficial max: 8GB
>>
> Thanks, been thinking about getting an X200(s).
>
> Semi-thread hijack: what's the minimum amount of RAM needed to run
> open-source virtualization software (KVM, VirtualBox, Xen, ...)
> somewhat decently/non-sluggishly? 8 GB? I probably won't run more than
> one VM at the same time.

I don't run VM on laptop much.  They are on remote powerful servers.
The main motivation for upgrading the RAM is that the original 1GB was
not enough for firefox since 2014.  Consequently the web became the
bottleneck of my work flow.

To the point, I agree with Lars, quoted "You need, in practice, about as
much memory as you need to use the virtualisation host normally, plus
the RAM of each virtual machine guest."

Cheers,
Benda