[ltp] x61: Fan error

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Apr 2015 08:36:02 +1300

At 06:54 a.m. 3/04/2015, Paul Seelig wrote:
>On 04/02/2015 03:24 PM, Paul Bolle wrote:
>> Off topic: was 9 December 2014 (or 12 September 2014, thanks to American
>> conventions) simply the day someone archived those manuals or is there
>> more to it? And do people fear Lenovo will do what Toshiba did (ie, make
>> maintenance of older systems as hard as they can)?
>>
>Lenovo decided to retire their well functioning support web site
>http://support.lenovo.com and replace it with a rather useless site
>where it is next to impossible to find the formerly available wealth for
>documentation and drivers also for their legacy hardware.
>
>Some forward looking guys simply took the liberty to mirror that site
>before it disappears. As agreed with Lenovo, all this data has since
>then found a new home at thinkpads.com.
>
>To complete the formerly mentioned links, the old MTM (=Machine Type
>Model) lookup link http://support1.lenovo.com/en_US/landing.page?qpq=
>has also disappeared, consequently. Luckily, it was also salvaged and
>made available at http://sm.krelay.de/tp/index.php?type=
>
>Example: http://sm.krelay.de/tp/index.php?type=8892-B7G
>
>Hope this helps!

You bet it helps!  Before I decided to bite the bullet with this fan assembly, which is necessary because the product numbers are on the BOTTOM (!!) I was searching (in vain) for that dive-down search site that leads you to the exact build details of your Thinkpad (the old URL had 'migr' in it).  As you noted, the new Lenovo support site is totally useless.  I phoned local support, just to try to elicit the information and they could not help. (2007 machine - too old!!)

For anyone who is stuck for a part, I did find several sites that are selling new and refurbished parts for older Thinkpads, at alibaba.com, from China and Malaysia.  Prices were around a third of what the US parts sites were offering and, in some cases, with free postage.  In all cases, they had photos, unlike the US sites.

Helen