[ltp] x61: Fan error

Paul Bolle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 02 Apr 2015 23:33:31 +0200

On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 18:39 +0100, Martin N wrote:
> I had a noisy fan on my x61.

My fan was silent. Because it refused to run at all.

> Just opened it up, cleaned the dust off the fan and screwed it back together.
> Silent fan again.
>
> Try and clean it, you may be surprised how much dust it clogging it up.

This is what I did: I sprayed some canned air into the fan (X61 shut
down, battery removed, but nothing disassembled: ie, I sprayed the fan
from the outside!). Even my dysfunctional ears could here the fan
rotating at high speed after the flow of air had stopped.

The next boot saw the fan kick in on a "yum update", which moved the
(main?) temperature above, I think, 60 degrees Celsius.

Mission accomplished for € 8!

Thanks,

Paul Bolle