[ltp] 100mbit only when docked?

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:12:57 -0700

--iAso7BhgrlVot5x0fmF37ebIhV3aJjkPc

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote on 2015-03-23 03:28:
> Thinkpad docks are not supposed to introduce so much noise as to force
> the gigabit-ethernet PHY to negotiate down to fast-ethernet.  Chances
> are high that something is wrong with your hardware.

Yeah I'm starting to feel like maybe the dock is toasted.

So the dock at home is a 433815U (ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 with U=
SB 3.0 - 90W) which looks like...

https://the620guy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/20141024-Len-4338-15-04X=
4682-USB-3.0-5.jpg

I'm at work now plugged into a 433710U (ThinkPad Mini Dock Series 3 - 90W=
)...

http://www.quickship.com/images/computer_accessories/lenovo-433710u-think=
pad-mini-dock-series-3-pic1.jpg

My work dock can negotiate gigabit without issue. So I guess this means t=
hat something's up with my home dock. :(
=20
> Is your CAT-5e cabling and patch-cords marginal? The added noise of the=

> dock might push it too far in that case...

I've tried my home dock with 4 different ethernet cables and 3 different =
switches. They all couldn't pull gigabit through the dock but worked fine=
 when plugged in directly.

--=20
Rubin=20
rubin@starset.net=20