[ltp] 100mbit only when docked?

Mon, 23 Mar 2015 07:28:52 -0300

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015, at 19:11, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> I have an X220 running Debian Sid and one of those ultra mini 3 docks. I
> just noticed that e1000e can't negotiate anything beyond 100mbit when
> plugged in through the dock. If I plug it using the same cable/switch
> into the ethernet port on my laptop without the dock I can get 1000mbit
> without truoble.
>
> Anyone else notice this?

Thinkpad docks are not supposed to introduce so much noise as to force
the gigabit-ethernet PHY to negotiate down to fast-ethernet.  Chances
are high that something is wrong with your hardware.

Is your CAT-5e cabling and patch-cords marginal? The added noise of the
dock might push it too far in that case...

  Henrique Holschuh