[ltp] W510: media tray opens randomly
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 18:01:32 -0700
I have a ThinkPad W510 that is aging mostly gracefully, but with one major annoyance: about a month or 2 ago, its tray for optical discs (CD, DVD, "multi") started opening/ejecting randomly. It does not auto-open at all when the W510 is suspended or powered off, but will do it
* just about any time when the W510 is on.
* whether or not a disc is in the tray.
* even during disc play, though auto-eject seems less frequent while in use than auto-open while not in use. A typical scenario is: I put a disc in the tray, close it, and begin play (typically with VLC, though I'm guessing that does not matter). The tray will auto-eject a few times before "settling down" and allowing me to play the full disc.
Some additional details:
1. Nothing on Lenovo's page='Troubleshooting CD and DVD drive issues - ThinkPad' matches this problem.
2. I suspect this is a hardware problem, but FWIW,
2.1. I'm running Debian 8 (via LMDE) up-to-date.
2.2. This behavior has persisted through at least one reboot.
3. Sometimes the tray will re-open as soon as I close it, sometimes it will stay closed for awhile before re-ejecting.
4. Disc play seems unaffected, except for the auto-eject. I.e., I have not noticed any other problems reading or writing discs except for the occasional apparently-DRM-related read failure.
How to fix or further debug?
Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>