[ltp] W510: media tray opens randomly

Tom Roche linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 18:01:32 -0700

I have a ThinkPad W510 that is aging mostly gracefully, but with one major annoyance: about a month or 2 ago, its tray for optical discs (CD, DVD, "multi") started opening/ejecting randomly. It does not auto-open at all when the W510 is suspended or powered off, but will do it

* just about any time when the W510 is on.

* whether or not a disc is in the tray.

* even during disc play, though auto-eject seems less frequent while in use than auto-open while not in use. A typical scenario is: I put a disc in the tray, close it, and begin play (typically with VLC, though I'm guessing that does not matter). The tray will auto-eject a few times before "settling down" and allowing me to play the full disc.

Some additional details:

1. Nothing on Lenovo's page='Troubleshooting CD and DVD drive issues - ThinkPad'[1] matches this problem.

2. I suspect this is a hardware problem, but FWIW,

2.1. I'm running Debian 8 (via LMDE) up-to-date.

2.2. This behavior has persisted through at least one reboot.

3. Sometimes the tray will re-open as soon as I close it, sometimes it will stay closed for awhile before re-ejecting.

4. Disc play seems unaffected, except for the auto-eject. I.e., I have not noticed any other problems reading or writing discs except for the occasional apparently-DRM-related read failure.

How to fix or further debug?

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

[1]: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht080220