[ltp] Map Fn keys to multimedia events?

Fri, 12 Aug 2016 00:02:41 +0100

On 11/08/16 22:44, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's a way to map the events that happen when I
> press those less needed Fn key combos on my X1 to other things like
> multimedia events so that it will more willingly get picked up by other
> music apps?

Hi Rubin,

Generally there are 3 kinds of key events - the regular X11 ones, some
strange ACPI events (e.g. lid-close), and some weird things that the
BIOS intercepts (usually these are related the the Fn-key).

If you're in luck, use xev  (X event viewer) and give the xev window
focus, to display the key combinations that are pressed. Then you can
use Xmodmap to re-map the keys, or Xbindkeys to make the key trigger
some specific command.

If the keypress doesn't show up in Xev, you're probably out of luck

HTH,

Richard