[ltp] T440p touchpad replacement failed :(

Hendrik-Jan Heins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Aug 2016 10:24:19 +0200

--001a1145adbc8c7e86053b095bb0

Hi,

I experienced similar issues in replacing the touchpad on my X240.

First: make sure you have a touchpad that is for your device apparently the
T440 and X240 do NOT have the same touchpad and connector layout!
(This was my first mistake)

Second: if you replace the touchpad, also replace the ribbon cables. They
are not made to be connected and disconnected too often.

In my case the whole thin worked after I got the correct new touchpad and a
new ribbon cable.
To get everything in place, I needed to completely disassemble the machine
though. I hope the T440 is a bit easier to do.

best,

Hendrik-Jan

P.S. I know it is no consolation but due to this I also had a mouse
connected for about 4 weeks as there was no internal pointing device
anymore.

> I heard about the replacement devices for the Single-Big-Button
> abomination that came with my T440p, watched a Youtube video or two,
> and I figured I was all set.  I ordered the cheap one and set about
> replacing it.
>
> Most of the hardware work was pretty straightforward, no tricks.
>
> The bad part was to reconnect the various ribbon cables.  There are
> three: one for the eraserhead, one for the keyboard, and one for the
> touchpad.  All were challenging.
>
> Each has a little black plastic clip which holds the ribbon cable in
> place.  My problem was the clip on the touchpad's cable, which it
> seems can no longer hold firmly.
>
> I used electrical tape to try to hold it in place, but it seems not
> to be working.  I have my hard drive in a different machine so I
> booted a live USB stick, and no joy on the pointer.
>
> I guess I'll now have a machine with no built-in pointer device.
> It's not a "laptop" if I have to put it on a desk and have a place
> for a mouse.  Sigh.
> --
>   http://rob0.nodns4.us/
> --

--001a1145adbc8c7e86053b095bb0

br></div>I experienced similar issues in replacing the touchpad on my X240.=
apparently the T440 and X240 do NOT have the same touchpad and connector la=
ace the touchpad, also replace the ribbon cables. They are not made to be c=
e thin worked after I got the correct new touchpad and a new ribbon cable.<=
br></div>To get everything in place, I needed to completely disassemble the=
due to this I also had a mouse connected for about 4 weeks as there was no =
div class=3D"gmail_quote">2016-08-26 22:27 GMT+02:00 /dev/rob0 <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:list+ltp@nodns4.us" target=3D"_blank">list+ltp@=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I heard about t=
he replacement devices for the Single-Big-Button<br>
abomination that came with my T440p, watched a Youtube video or two,<br>
and I figured I was all set.=C2=A0 I ordered the cheap one and set about<br=

replacing it.<br>
Most of the hardware work was pretty straightforward, no tricks.<br>
The bad part was to reconnect the various ribbon cables.=C2=A0 There are<br=

three: one for the eraserhead, one for the keyboard, and one for the<br>
touchpad.=C2=A0 All were challenging.<br>
Each has a little black plastic clip which holds the ribbon cable in<br>
place.=C2=A0 My problem was the clip on the touchpad&#39;s cable, which it<=
br>
seems can no longer hold firmly.<br>
I used electrical tape to try to hold it in place, but it seems not<br>
to be working.=C2=A0 I have my hard drive in a different machine so I<br>
booted a live USB stick, and no joy on the pointer.<br>
I guess I&#39;ll now have a machine with no built-in pointer device.<br>
It&#39;s not a &quot;laptop&quot; if I have to put it on a desk and have a =
place<br>
for a mouse.=C2=A0 Sigh.<br>
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://rob0.nodns4.us/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://rob0.nodns4.us/</a><br>
--<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
d" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.<wbr>=

--001a1145adbc8c7e86053b095bb0--