[ltp] T440p touchpad replacement failed :(

/dev/rob0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Aug 2016 13:55:51 -0500

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 10:03:00AM -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 10:24:19AM +0200, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
> > Second: if you replace the touchpad, also replace the ribbon
> > cables. They are not made to be connected and disconnected too
> > often.
>
> Okay, I will try this.  But I don't think my problem is the cable
> itself; I think it is the connector on the motherboard.

Yes!  I looked again at this cable.  This time I took out the new
touchpad again and examined that end of it also.

It has color coding on each end: green, with a transparent tape
"handle" on the motherboard end; blue and no handle on the touchpad
end.  Interestingly, the motherboard end appears to be about a half
millimeter wider.

This time I left a bit more length to go through the bezel slot to
reach the motherboard connector, and IT WORKS!  Partly.

I can move the pointer with the touchpad, and the main touchpad's
click is functional.  The three buttons DO NOT respond.

This result was not surprising, because close examination showed a
minor defect in one of the ribbon cable's contacts.

So I do need to get a new ribbon cable now.  But that's okay;
optimism has returned. :)

Thanks again for the suggestion, which has gotten me on the right
track, I believe.  Perhaps in a week or three I can report back my
success? :)
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/