[ltp] Best replacement for X61s

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Jul 2016 08:22:09 -0400

On 7/25/2016 4:49 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     > my machine is getting old and I'd like to replace it. The casing shows
>     > clear signs of nearly 10 years everyday use and being carried around,
>     > and the processor also starts to feels slow.
>
> I have the same machine (and the same problem), have you considered to
> use a SSD, I did this, and it felt like a big leap into the feature.
> The speed of most operations doubled or tripled.
>
>     > So I'm looking for a new machine. Unfortunately, all new thinkpads
>     > have this annoying macbook-style keyboards instead of the nice old
>     > ones with the cone-shaped keys. This is one of the reasons I'm asking
>     > here for some advice:
>
> I face the same problem, even more annoying than the shape of the
> keyboard is its distribution and the fact that a lot of keys a missing,
> since I have bound a lot of functions to these keys, I feel lost with
> the new layout.
>
>     > What do you think would be the best replacement? Most important points
>     > for me are the compactness (~12"), robustness and, if somehow
>     > possible, the same keyboard style. Doesn't have to be a new machine,
>     > used is fine – but I'm not sure which was the last model with a nice
>     > keyboard. Also, I don't care about high-res screens or media stuff
>     > etc.
>
> I think the last ones with a traditional good Thinkpad keyboards are the
> 201 series.
>
> regards
>
> Uwe Brauer
I think that we are just a few of the many that will hate the crappy (
new ) keyboards.
I solved part of the problems by buying two extra T510s, IMHO one of
best laptops ever made.
The Ts are big and heavy so the other half of the problem is what to do
with my Z61T.
The screen is getting very dim and there doesn't seem to be a LED
backlight kit for it.
I would love to find a light weight replacement for it which had a led
screen, the good keyboard, and a trackpoint.
As an added bonus I would be nice to not have to put up with the
scumsoft F!@#ed up bios.
I run ssd drives on all of my laptops.

Thanks
   Bert