[ltp] Best replacement for X61s

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Jul 2016 08:49:41 +0000

>>> "Arno" =3D=3D Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann@gmx.de> writes:

   > Hi all,
   > my machine is getting old and I'd like to replace it. The casing shows
   > clear signs of nearly 10 years everyday use and being carried around,
   > and the processor also starts to feels slow.

I have the same machine (and the same problem), have you considered to
use a SSD, I did this, and it felt like a big leap into the feature.
The speed of most operations doubled or tripled.

   > So I'm looking for a new machine. Unfortunately, all new thinkpads
   > have this annoying macbook-style keyboards instead of the nice old
   > ones with the cone-shaped keys. This is one of the reasons I'm asking
   > here for some advice:

I face the same problem, even more annoying than the shape of the
keyboard is its distribution and the fact that a lot of keys a missing,
since I have bound a lot of functions to these keys, I feel lost with
the new layout.

   > What do you think would be the best replacement? Most important points
   > for me are the compactness (~12"), robustness and, if somehow
   > possible, the same keyboard style. Doesn't have to be a new machine,
   > used is fine =E2=80=93 but I'm not sure which was the last model with =
a nice
   > keyboard. Also, I don't care about high-res screens or media stuff
   > etc.

I think the last ones with a traditional good Thinkpad keyboards are the
201 series.

regards

Uwe Brauer=20