[ltp] Battery does not charge at all T400

Toyam Cox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:32:21 -0400

--001a1140fee4c8cf8e052defde26

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Paul Seelig <pseelig@rumbero.es> wrote:

> On 03/13/2016 07:28 AM, Toyam Cox wrote:
> > battery cycle count (as reported through the tp_smapi module) is 331
> > cycles. So the battery is in reasonable condition, and the thinkpad
> > itself is in good condition in all but caring the battery.
> >
> I wouldn't call 331 cycles a death verdict yet, but it certainly is no
> indicator for a battery being still in reasonable condition either.
>
> I have had SANYO batteries with much less cycles die, while a Panasonic
> produced in 2006-08-07 is still providing slightly half of its former
> capacity of 84240 in spite of its 814 charge cycles. But only Panasonic
> are known to have such an incredible longevity (with SONY being worst).
>
> > I do not know why, but despite buing plugged in, while the computer is
> > on or off, the battry stays at 0$ charge. I cat
> > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state and get "idle" back .
> >
> Does another battery charge fine on the same machine?
>
> Try with another Thinkpad of the same generation or also a widescreen
> 14.1" T61, in order to exclude your T400 from being the main culprit.

> Yes, the battery is at 0%. I can unplug the laptop and watch the machine
> > instantly poweroff.
> >
> When was the last time you ever used that battery? How many months did
> it sit unused before? Chances are it has simply died while being deep
> discharged during a too long period of not being used?
>
> I once acquired a nice 14.1" T60 in excellent condition for just a
> steal. The former owner forgot its power on password and just had it
> lying around unused for some unknown amount of years before he decided
> to give it away. When i finally received it, the Panasonic battery had
> just a dozen charge cycles, but was dead as a brick. I tried charging it
> continuously and uninterruptedly over a full week on a well known good
> machine, hoping to miracuously resuscitate it, but to no avail.
>
> Extended storage of laptop batteries without periodic charge control and
> refresh simply kills them. Batteries in general are consumables that
> eventually die after a more or less extended time of usage and simply
> need to be replaced if it happens

Hope you are still lucky, though.

> Regards,
> Paul
> --

Sadly I don't have the hardware to independently test the T400 and the
battery. I am willing to put down the money for a Panasonic battery for
this machine, can you recommend a supplier?

I bet the battery died, as you suggested, from deep discharges and non
usage. The former owner never did much with the battery, and I've only had
the machine for about a month.

Thank you,

--
- Toyam

--001a1140fee4c8cf8e052defde26

ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pseelig@rumbero.es" target=3D"_blank">pseelig@ru=
gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px =
0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-=
style:solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class=3D"">On 03/13/2016 07:28 AM, Toya=
m Cox wrote:<br>
&gt; battery cycle count (as reported through the tp_smapi module) is 331<b=
r>
&gt; cycles. So the battery is in reasonable condition, and the thinkpad<br=

&gt; itself is in good condition in all but caring the battery.<br>
&gt;<br>
 is no<br>
indicator for a battery being still in reasonable condition either.<br>
I have had SANYO batteries with much less cycles die, while a Panasonic<br>
produced in 2006-08-07 is still providing slightly half of its former<br>
capacity of 84240 in spite of its 814 charge cycles. But only Panasonic<br>
are known to have such an incredible longevity (with SONY being worst).<br>
&gt; I do not know why, but despite buing plugged in, while the computer is=
&gt; on or off, the battry stays at 0$ charge. I cat<br>
&gt; /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/state and get &quot;idle&quot; back .=
&gt;<br>
Try with another Thinkpad of the same generation or also a widescreen<br>
14.1&quot; T61, in order to exclude your T400 from being the main culprit. =
=C2=A0</blockquote><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0p=
x 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border=
-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex">=C2=A0</blockquote><blockquote class=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;borde=
r-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex"><sp=
an class=3D"">
&gt; Yes, the battery is at 0%. I can unplug the laptop and watch the machi=
ne<br>
&gt; instantly poweroff.<br>
&gt;<br>
id<br>
it sit unused before? Chances are it has simply died while being deep<br>
discharged during a too long period of not being used?<br>
I once acquired a nice 14.1&quot; T60 in excellent condition for just a<br>
steal. The former owner forgot its power on password and just had it<br>
lying around unused for some unknown amount of years before he decided<br>
to give it away. When i finally received it, the Panasonic battery had<br>
just a dozen charge cycles, but was dead as a brick. I tried charging it<br=

continuously and uninterruptedly over a full week on a well known good<br>
machine, hoping to miracuously resuscitate it, but to no avail.<br>
Extended storage of laptop batteries without periodic charge control and<br=

refresh simply kills them. Batteries in general are consumables that<br>
eventually die after a more or less extended time of usage and simply<br>
need to be replaced if it happens=C2=A0</blockquote><blockquote class=3D"gm=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-l=
eft-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex">=C2=A0=
0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-=
style:solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hope you are still lucky, though.<br>
Regards,<br>
Paul<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
d" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/m=
ailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad</a><br>
e to independently test the T400 and the battery. I am willing to put down =
the money for a Panasonic battery for this machine, can you recommend a sup=
harges and non usage. The former owner never did much with the battery, and=
m</div>

--001a1140fee4c8cf8e052defde26--