[ltp] Which distro for R51?

Benda Xu linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 01:43:16 +0900

James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> writes:

> Sooner or later, you'll no longer be able to get a distro that runs, so
> perhaps you should be looking for a new computer.

When that happens, make a switch to BSD, it is more friendly to
classical hareware.

Or Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, feels more familiar as GNU/Linux. Quoting from
Debian/kFreeBSD developer Steven Chamberlain[1],

    Support old hardware for as long as possible:
        floppy drives, tape drives, ISA network cards - whatever our users might have;
        hardware can be useful, for as long as we provide a stable OS for it;
        be an alternative for any situation where Linux has issues, and to help in debugging those issues.

    Allow old software and installed systems to exist for as long as possible:
        rewriting application software costs time and effort
        FreeBSD users often follow a stable branch for many years;
        Debian LTS was a really good idea.
        Would like to ease migration of FreeBSD systems to Debian, or vice-versa.

Benda

1. https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD/Talks/DebConf15