[ltp] Re: suspend issues: faulty lid switch?

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 Sep 2016 21:03:40 -0400

> In the past, I had occasional issues where my laptop would fail to wake
> from suspend, andn eeded to be "hard" reset with the reset button (hte
> pinhole on the bototm of hte laptop). Since there's an internal battery, I
> also had to take apart the laptop and disconnect the battery for the reset
> to work.

That sounds like a hardware (or at most firmware) problem rather than
any kind of software issue.  On all my laptops, keeping the power button
pressed for 4-6s is enough to force a hard power-down.  And this seems
to be handled at a low-enough level that it's pretty much always worked,
even when the kernel is completely borked.

        Stefan