[ltp] Error 2100 - SSD in good health, but not booting into laptop

Fen Labalme linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 10:39:31 -0500

--94eb2c03223a6d570405453279c3

(Apologies: this is a slightly modified cross post from forums.lenovo.com -
I'm thinking I might get a quicker/better answer here...)

I have a T530 with Samsung 840 EVO SSD running Arch Linux. Been running
fine (for three years) then just wouldn't boot. Got the "2100: Detection
error" screen of death but the drive passes Lenovo diagnostics (all SMART
tests, etc.). With an Arch or Ubuntu Live CD it boots and I can mount the
SSD (and made a full backup). I reformatted the SSD and put a fresh OS on
it, but it still drops right into the boot menu like it doesn't see the
bootable HDD at all.

I guess it could be a disk issue even though it passes all tests and
reads/writes fine, but with the OEM mechanical disk, the system boots up
normally. Crazy!

I'm thinking it may be a motherboard/firmware issue between the SSD (which
worked fine for years) and the T530, but how does one track this down?

The T530 is out of warranty, and Lenovo support told me I can send it in
with $650 pre-pay for service. But since it works with another disk, I fear
they'll just say "works for me" and return it. If I buy a new SSD and it
still doesn't work (proving it's a Lenovo hardware/firmware issue) I'm out
the cost of the SSD (as I will have had to break the seal on the box to
test). And Lenovo still might not see the issue should I send it in.

The laptop is in great shape otherwise, mostly used as a desktop for my
work (it travels rarely and safely in a good case). Is three years the
lifetime for a Lenovo T-series? I'd like to stay in the Lenovo family, but
is it time to buy a Dell XPS?

Thanks!
=Fen

--
Fen Labalme, CISO at CivicActions.com
Security | Quality | DevOps

--94eb2c03223a6d570405453279c3

 href=3D"http://forums.lenovo.com">forums.lenovo.com</a> - I&#39;m thinking=
530 with Samsung 840 EVO SSD running Arch Linux. Been running fine (for thr=
ee years) then just wouldn&#39;t boot. Got the &quot;2100: Detection error&=
quot; screen of death but the drive passes Lenovo diagnostics (all SMART te=
sts, etc.). With an Arch or Ubuntu Live CD it boots and I can mount the SSD=
 (and made a full backup). I reformatted the SSD and put a fresh OS on it, =
but it still drops right into the boot menu like it doesn&#39;t see the boo=
though it passes all tests and reads/writes fine, but with the OEM mechanic=
9;m thinking it may be a motherboard/firmware issue between the SSD (which =
worked fine for years) and the T530, but how does one track this down?</div=
e I can send it in with $650 pre-pay for service. But since it works with a=
nother disk, I fear they&#39;ll just say &quot;works for me&quot; and retur=
n it. If I buy a new SSD and it still doesn&#39;t work (proving it&#39;s a =
Lenovo hardware/firmware issue) I&#39;m out the cost of the SSD (as I will =
have had to break the seal on the box to test). And Lenovo still might not =
n great shape otherwise, mostly used as a desktop for my work (it travels r=
arely and safely in a good case). Is three years the lifetime for a Lenovo =
T-series? I&#39;d like to stay in the Lenovo family, but is it time to buy =
Fen Labalme, CISO at CivicActions.com<div><div class=3D"gmail_signature"><d=
iv dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div style=3D"font-size:12.8px"><div style=
=3D"font-size:12.8px">Security | Quality | DevOps</div><div style=3D"font-s=
ize:12.8px"><span style=3D"font-size:12.8px">github/twitter/skype: openpriv=
v>

--94eb2c03223a6d570405453279c3--