[ltp] T580 Debian stretch

Joerg Bruehe joerg.bruehe at web.de
Sat Jun 2 13:26:03 CEST 2018

Hi!

On 31.05.2018 22:51, Mark Dymek wrote:
> I want to dual boot windows 10 and Debian. I know Lenovo has good
> support for Linux but is there any special drivers or anything I need to
> do to get it working on the T580?

I'd expect basic Linux to work immediately with a Thinkpad.
For this, "basic" _ex_cludes hibernation and suspend as well as
accelerated graphics.
I have no idea whether recent Windows tunings (no proper shutdown, SSD
caching a rotating disk, ...) will cause trouble.

I'm running a T530 with dual-boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (to
be upgraded soon) without any issues. I intentionally avoided additional
graphics controllers.

> I got the 4K screen along with the nvidia MX150. The MX150 is what gives
> me pause I know nvidia isn’t known for good Linux support.

 From following the literature, my impression is that this is mostly
distribution-dependent. I don't expect Debian to spend effort on
integrating a non-free Nvidia driver into their distribution, but AIUI
Ubuntu does. I have no idea about the others (Fedora, OpenSuSE, ...).

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe at web.de