[ltp] Thunderbolt 3 docks?

Jeffrey Taylor jeff.taylor at ieee.org
Tue Mar 20 14:52:33 CET 2018

Quoting Rob Kendrick <rjek+linux-thinkpad.org at rjek.com>:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:33:09AM -0700, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> > I just ordered one of these USB-C Lenovo docks for my new machine (
> > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9RW2A3 ). I'm realizing this devices
> > differs from a Thunderbolt 3 dock that Lenovo also sells (though apparently
> > lower rated than the USB-C one). I'm wondering if anyone under Linux has
> > had any success or failures with either type of dock.
>
> I use one of these with a T470 (20HD000LUK), and it mostly works.  I use
> the ethernet, USB 3 hub, dual DisplayPort out, power in.  I have not
> tested the audio, but PulseAudio detects it.  Very occationally docking
> or undocking confuses Linux enough that I need to restart, but doing
> this only when the system is on seems to resolve that.
>
> Also, rather annoyingly, when you unplug the C cable, the hub powers off
> meaning some things lose state.  Other than that, no complaints.

This sounds very similar to my experience with the older USB Mini-dock I
bought with my T520.  I've never tried the video.  The audio works fine,
though sometimes I have to manually switch back from internal to USB audio
after resume from suspend.

Also sometimes it appears X11 hangs on resume, black screen and a lot of disk
activity.  When it times out, I'm logged out and video is dimmer.  A reboot
fixes the dimness.  As an experiment, I've unplugged the Mini-doc to isolate
the problem.  It's been a week with no problems.  Suggestive, but not
definitive.  This started about two months ago while I was on OpenSuSE Leap
42.2.  It continues on 42.3.