[ltp] x250: Intel Rapid Start works but has quirks

Axel Braun Axel.Braun at gmx.de
Wed Dec 18 13:53:04 CET 2019

> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 14:11:25 +0200
> From: "D.T." <summerjob at posteo.de>
> To: linux-thinkpad at linux-thinkpad.org
> Subject: [ltp] x250: Intel Rapid Start works but has quirks
>
> Hello everyone,
> recently I purchased a Thinkpad x250.
> It has a 256GB SSD.
>
> Intel Rapid Start (IRS) works as it should:
>
>     I created the required partition, exactly 8GB in size like my RAM
> and swap
>     in BIOS, I set it to activate immediately.
>     On the operating system level, I have disabled hibernation
> completely, everything goes to suspend, from where the BIOS takes over
> and sends the machine into hibernation in less than a minute.
>     Opening the lid or pressing the power button wakes the machine up
> again (boot logo reads "Resuming from deep sleep") (*).
>
> The Problems I noticed:
>
>     I have sound after resuming, but the headphone plug doesn't, i.e. I
> cannot use external Speakers or headphones. This is happening with both
> pulseaudio and pure ALSA.
>     In BIOS I have set The primary function for the F* keys to be F1 -
> F12, but after a resume this goes back to function keys, which was the
> default BIOS setting when I got the machine
>     (*) In some situations - I think when the system goes to sleep
> because of low battery - the IRS hibernation does not take, i.e. the
> system remains in Suspend state. This part I have not fully researched
> yet.
>
> What I did to make sure the problem is NOT independent of IRS:
>
>     tried various distros, mostly ArchLinux and Debian based - the
> problems always occur as described above
>     disabled IRS - I have full sound after resuming from Suspend and
> the Fn primary fiunction is as set in BIOS
>     enabled Linux' own hibernation - I have full sound after resuming
> from Hibernate and the Fn primary fiunction is as set in BIOS
>
> Other info:
>
>     I flashed the BIOS to version 1.38 when I got the machine.
>
> Is it possible to fix this?
> Is this a known problem?
> Could it be this has nothing to do with the operating system?
>
> Of course I could just use Linux' own hibernation, but with IRS I can
> save a few seconds when waking up.

Ask yourself why you want to use hibernation.
Energy consumption in stand-by is pretty low over days, I see no real benefit in using hibernation.
As a consequence, I just close the lid for 'Suspend to RAM'. Only in rare cases hibernation makes sense. And then I can affort a few seconds more

Cheers
Axel