[ltp] X60 and weird display problems

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jan 11 20:14:22 CET 2019

I recently repaired an old X60 (which was left unused for several years
because of a broken LCD panel, and was running Windows earlier).

It works well, except for one problem:

When booting, things look fine until the X server starts (for GDM3) at
which point the normal display output is replaced by some weird
slowly-evolving psychedelic-looking lines and "shapes".  The system is
otherwise fine: I can SSH into it, and the VGA output looks fine.  I can
even suspend it and resume it, and in *most* cases, the display comes
back correctly upon resume.

Any idea what might be going on?

FWIW, I'm running Debian testing on it, tho I just tried Debian stable
and it made no difference.

        Stefan