[ltp] the fan of ThinkPad X1 Carbon 4th starts quite often lately

Luca Fornasari luca.fornasari at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 20:33:01 CEST 2020

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Carles Pina i Estany <carles at pina.cat>
wrote:

> Hi,

> >    > Uwe,
> >    > Have you considered the idea of changing the thermal paste between
> the processor and the fan?
> >    > Trust me ... there is no culprit in the OS ... it's the thermal
> paste.
> >
> > Oops, you mean a hardware problem. That is really bad, because in the
>
> I wouldn't completely rule out a software problem.

Obviously if the CPU is at 100% it needs some "fresh" air ...
Uwe please check if you have high CPU load ...
Keep in mind that anyway after a couple or more years the thermal paste
loose the physical properties.

Sure you can do it by yourself.
I am not sure if this invalidate your warranty (if it is not yet expired)
anyway Lenovo is a "Do It Yourself" friendly company and hardware manuals
are easily available.
A simple search for "Lenovo X1 Hardware Maintenance Manual" brought me to
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_carbon3_hmm_en_sp40g55065.pdf

A couple of hours of work and a lot of self gratification ;-)
I did this to my ThinkpPad W540 because I was not able anymore to use the
discrete GPU because of high temperature.

Let us know your progress.

Ciao
Luca