[ltp] Fan or fan assembly replacement for T61

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Aug 11 05:26:36 CEST 2020

Hi,

My T61's fan is making weird noises.  I tried to clean it but that
doesn't seem to help.  I'm in the process of ordering a replacement fan
but am wondering: in the hardware maintenance manual I see mention of
a "fan assembly" with FRUs 42W2821 or 42W2820, which seems to combine
both the fan and some heatpipes; but what I find on sale are fans which
seem to be just fans, and they don't advertize those FRUs but instead
FRUs 42W2460, 42W2461, 42W2462, and 42W2823.

Does anyone here have experience replacing "just the fan" of a T61?
Is it easy or does it require extra work to take apart the "fan
assembly" and put it back together (maybe with soldering?)?

Another issue is that they're often very vague about which models of T61
they are supposed to fit (and there's a fairly wide variety, between the
14.1" tallscreen, the 14" widescreen, the 15", and also the "p" and "non
p" variants).  Do all those T61 variants accept the same fan?

        Stefan