[ltp] Fan or fan assembly replacement for T61

Yves Dorfsman yves at zioup.com
Tue Aug 11 15:40:41 CEST 2020

On 2020-08-10 9:26 p.m., Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Another issue is that they're often very vague about which models of T61
> they are supposed to fit (and there's a fairly wide variety, between the
> 14.1" tallscreen, the 14" widescreen, the 15", and also the "p" and "non
> p" variants).  Do all those T61 variants accept the same fan?

I had to replace the fan on an X220 recently and went through the same issue. The new fan I got was slightly different and I had to file and sand some of the frame to make it fit (looks like aluminum so it wasn't really hard to work with). I replaced the fan only. Replacing the heat pipes etc... won't buy you anything, you'll still have to get to the fan and might end up having to adjust/file/sand that assembly as well if it's not exactly the same.

Note: the new fan had fancy design double blades which are very fragile, any pressure on them when touching them while manipulating the fan broke them. I lost 4 or 5 that way.

Yves.
--
https://yves.zioup.com
gpg: 4096R/32B0F416