[ltp] thinkpad X1 7th o 8th generation

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Fri Aug 14 14:41:00 CEST 2020

Am Freitag, 14. August 2020, 12:00:01 CEST schrieb linux-thinkpad-
request at linux-thinkpad.org:
> That's completely useless in my experience.  It just means that you
> might be able to boot Ubuntu.  Which you already knew.  It's very hard
> to prevent...

certification in my understanding should mean that *all* hardware is supported

> The Ubuntu certification does not answer any of the important questions:
> Which hardware parts will work
>
>  - out-of-the-box?
>  - after installing proprietary firmware?
>  - after installing out-of-tree drivers?
>  - after sacrificing your first-born?
>  - never ever
>
> Look for user experiences with typical "problem hardware" like
> fingerprint readers and LTE modems.

It is not exactly the same hardware, but the experience with my X1 Extreme
Gen2 bought in March and openSUSE Tumbleweed is very positive: The only thing
that is a bit tricky is the card reader, which works only after boot, but not
after suspend, as this is still not supported by the driver (and the author is
currently 'not motivated' to fix this).

Fingerprint scanner works, Optimus (Intel&nvidia graphic) as well (using
proprietary nvidia driver), Function keys...thunderbolt I have not tried (no
hardware for this)

HTH
Axel