[ltp] thinkpad X1 7th o 8th generation

Florian Reitmeir florian at reitmeir.org
Sat Aug 15 13:08:02 CEST 2020

Hi,

Am 14.08.2020 um 14:41 schrieb Axel Braun:
> Am Freitag, 14. August 2020, 12:00:01 CEST schrieb linux-thinkpad-
> request at linux-thinkpad.org:
>> That's completely useless in my experience.  It just means that you
>> might be able to boot Ubuntu.  Which you already knew.  It's very hard
>> to prevent...
> certification in my understanding should mean that *all* hardware is supported

the problem is .. what means "supported" supported could mean:

- is detected and turned off (most fingerprint/lte modems)

- is detected and left alone (fan controll, legacy keyboard/mouse,
mouspad, backlight of keyboard)

- is detected and support basic functions (graphics in vesa mode, usb,
network)

- is detected and support normal functions (graphics with driver, cpu
wih power throtteling)

- is detected and support more than normal functions (ap mode in WIFI,
full fan control, sensors, ... )

and each level maybe needs like:

- has a working driver in the kernel

- needs firmware from vendor or alternativ

in linux the most problems arise with graphics chips not from intel/amd.
because without suppend and upgrades are difficult.

greetings