[ltp] Booting from thumbdrive...

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Sun Aug 23 02:28:43 CEST 2020

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 22:26:14 +0300
"D.T." <summerjob at posteo.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 11:47 +1200, Zed wrote:
> >
> > My T450s does not have a DVD/CD drive, so I wrote an ISO for Gecko
> > Linux to bootable USB thumb drive.
>
> How exactly did you do that please?
> Commands issued, software used?
> I have no idea what Gecko Linux means in this context.

Respectfully, I guess you're a new user unfamiliar with the jargon?
I can't speak for Zed (or help with his query), but in this context -

Gecko Linux is a distro, or distribution, like Debian or Mint or Fedora

'an ISO' means an 'image' ('ISO') suitable for writing to a CD or DVD
(or USB stick) in order to boot a computer off it.

You download the ISO file from a suitable source, typically the
distro's website, and write it to CD or USB using suitable software.
For USB sticks, 'dd' usually works, but there are a number of programs
to automate the process.

For example, Debian has a page on the options here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/ch04s03.html.en

Most distros will have a guide on how to do it, or googling 'write
Linux ISO to USB' will bring up more listings than you can shake a (USB)
stick at.

HTH