[ltp] Too many choices!

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Thu May 14 15:56:35 CEST 2020

On Thu, 14 May 2020 16:10:32 +0300
Kamen Naydenov <pau4o at kamennn.eu> wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 5:32 AM Cynthia
> <think at dogtrainingthatworks.net> wrote:
> >
> >     My favorite Thinkpad was the X61S, which had no trackpad, just
> > the trackpoint and a little mouse button cluster.  Before that, I
> >     always had a line in the start-up to disable the trackpad
> > because I tend to touch it by mistake and do unintended things. My
> > husband always did that tweak for me; he is gone now and I won't
> > know how to do it...
> As you prefer TrackPoint usage avoid ThinkPads featuring clickpads
> (Buttonless Touchpad).
> Models to avoid are listed in section "Models featuring this
> Technology" at
> https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Buttonless_Touchpad#Models_featuring_this_Technology
>
> best regards
> Kamen

That's a good point that I missed in my comments.   Besides the models
listed in the link at Thinkwiki, the L440 also has a buttonless
touchpad - and it doesn't seem to have any menu entry to disable it in
the BIOS (because that would also presumably disable clicking).
And it is a little annoying to use as, if I hover over a button on
the screen with the trackpoint, then when I go to click, my thumb often
moves the mouse pointer just enough to miss the button.   God knows
what Lenovo were thinking.   So I use a wireless mouse instead.

It's easy to check from pictures of the keyboard area whether the model
has a buttonless touchpad or not.    The 450 models appear to have had
the buttons restored.

Chris