[ltp] X62 from N51B?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri May 15 20:54:54 CEST 2020

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:13:14PM -0400, Cynthia wrote:
>    I am just looking for recommendations for which models to search
>    for.  If there's one with no trackpad but newer than my old one, I'd
>    want to look at that first.  Ideas?

Years ago, I hacked 2048x1536 screens into T60 thinkpads.
Then my eyes grew too old to see the tiny pixels.

I read and write and engineer instead of watching videos,
so the taller the format, the better.  I'm writing this
on a 1280x1024 desktop screen turned sideways.

More recently, I've stockpiled enough used X61 Thinkpads
(1024x768) to last me for life.  I also stockpiled
replacement fans and keyboards.  Not sure what I will
do when quality replacement X61 batteries are no longer
available on the aftermarket.

Meanwhile, after the plagues (medical and political) ...

... I hope to make arrangements with the N51B Thinkpad
user's group in Shenzhen China (north of Hong Kong).
They designed and built a new design, "X62" motherboards
to fit into the X61 chassis; lower power, MUCH faster,
USB3, more memory.  Some of them also replaced screens
with newer high resolution LCDs, excellent news for
younger eyes, but smaller vertically, hence not so
good for me.

Hardware wizard xiphmont has designed LED strip
replacements for X61 CFL screen backlights.

Perhaps neither will make more.  I hope we can get the
design files and make them ourselves.  Surface-mount
circuit board manufacture is complicated, and most of
the production systems are in China now.  If our N51B
friends can't help us with the actual build due to
complicated taxes and export restrictions, maybe there
are a few American (US/CA/MX) and European prototype
manufacturers that we can hire to help.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com