[ltp] Trackpoints, touchpad, and human aging

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Fri May 22 13:22:01 CEST 2020

* On 2020 22 May 02:18 -0500, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:
>
> > So - store a supply of Thinkpads with trackpoints for
> > old age.  Swap parts when they fail, until you do.
>
> Just in case Lenovo messes this up: There are other vendors with
> trackpoints.  See the HP "EliteBook" series for example.  They only have
> two mouse buttons, and the trackpoint isn't red, but they have done a
> decent job copying IBM without making it too obvious.

Perhaps they improved them.  I had such an HP laptop years back at work
and while I preferred their stick pointer over the scratch pad it wasn't
a Trackpoint.  I couldn't explain it but it never felt quite right.
It's amazing how much of this stuff is subjective.

> > I hope all of you make it past 50,
>
> oh, already there ;-)

Closer to 60 than 50.  Sigh...

- Nate