[ltp] T43 and S/PDIF audio output

Dave Woodfall dave at tty1.uk
Thu Nov 19 12:01:00 CET 2020

Hello all,

I've been looking to see if I can get digital audio output from my
T43, so that I can run jackd and connect it to my HiFi DAC.  At the
moment I'm doing it from a desktop PC, which I would like to
semi-retire.

According to modinfo snd_intel8x0 there is:

parm: spdif_aclink:S/PDIF over AC-link. (int)

What exactly is this AC-link?

The only audio sockets are the headphone and mic jacks.  Does anyone
know how to capture (hopefully coax) S/PDIF output?

In addition, I have a free PCMCIA slot, 2 USB, PS/2 socket, RJ11
modem socket, RJ45 NIC socket, parallel port, and external monitor
output.  I do have a USB S/PDIF adaptor, but IIRC it is limited
quality compared to coax.

More info:

Alsamixer does show any controls for S/PDIF out, but it does have an
extra console driver, which I've not yet found a use for:

Card: ThinkPad Console Audio Control
Chip: ThinkPad EC 1YHT29WW-1.06

Some lspci output:

00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family)
        Subsystem: IBM 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR
        Kernel driver in use: snd_intel8x0
        Kernel modules: snd_intel8x0

It also lists the modem which has a standard RJ11 socket.

Thanks for any info.

--
Dave

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.
	 --Friedrich Nietzsche