[ltp] install on a X200, ubuntu windows7 but password protected

Uwe Brauer oub.oub.oub at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 16:34:08 CEST 2020

>>> "JB" == Joerg Bruehe <joerg.bruehe at web.de> writes:

Hi Jörg

> Hi Uwe, all!
> On 17.10.20 17:29, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Hi
>> This might be a bit off topic. I was asked to install Ubuntu on a
>> X200
>> (which runs windows 7!). However not only should it be a dual boot (that
>> I know to do of course), but the booting of windows should be password
>> protected.
>> So this seems to be a grub question, I presume, anybody has done
>> this?

> I have never dealt with boot passwords, and I fail to see the real gain:
> If an attacker gets hold of the machine, s/he can easily boot a live
> system and then mount any partition of any internal disk.

Ok, I should explain the use case a bit better. The Windows 7
installation contains private files. The user was not able to find all
of them so he does feel uncomfortable that someone is using that
machine, even if that someone is supposed to boot Linux.

This other (Linux) user, is not a hacker and has no idea how to boot a live
system.

I agree that it would be best to use bitblocker or something very
similar to encrypt the whole windows 7 partition but again this has been
considered as being too cumbersome to use.

That is why the only thing I can come up with, is to password protect
the windows 7 boot process.

> IMNSHO, the only real protection is disk encryption - for Linux with
> LUKS, for Windows with Veracrypt. Veracrypt is also available for
> Linux, so Linux can mount the encrypted Windows partition(s).

> As your name sounds German, I recommend some articles of c't:

Right, I am German, but as I said above, these solutions, also they make a
lot of sense, are considered as too impractical.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer