[ltp] Experiences fixing slim tip power conector

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Jul 15 08:26:34 CEST 2021

Ismael Olea <ismael at olea.org> writes:

> I've found I can buy the cable I need:
> https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001286073872.html

I don't see it mention which adapter (45W, 65W, 90W, etc) that cable is
made for.  This is important!  The Thinkpad will read that info from a
resistor inside the slim tip plug.  Ref the link you posted before:
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Power_Connector#slim_tip

I have no experience with new cables, but I have some with the
barrel-to-slimtip cables allowing you to use older Thinkpad chargers
with the newer slimtip laptops.  The cables I got were made for a 90W
charger.  This sort of worked with my 65W chargers, but would cut power
repeatedly during the middle of the charging cycle when the Thikpad
tried to pull maximum power.  Probably because it overloaded the
charger.

Replacing the resistor inside the slimtip connector fixed that issue.
But it required cutting open the connector, soldering a new resistor,
and then gluing it back together.I don't think that's an interesting
option when you already have the correct slimtip connector, and just
need to replace the cable...  So better make sure you get the correct
resistor in the connector if you decide to buy a new cable assembly

Bjørn