[ltp] thinkpad-acpi and power button timeout

Ivan J. parazyd at dyne.org
Wed Mar 3 23:12:01 CET 2021

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 08:01:06PM +0100, Michael Topp wrote:
> Am 03.03.21 um 12:11 schrieb Ivan J.:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to interact with the power button and the ACPI event it
> > generates on a Thinkpad X270. It seems to me that it is necessary
> > to hold the power button for 1+ seconds in order for it to actually
> > register with ACPI and produce an event.
> >
> > Does anyone know if it's possible to lower or even disable this
> > timeout so the event would be registered "instantly" when the power
> > button is pressed?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ivan
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> maybe you can reconfigure that key with xev/xbindkeys; cf. Arch Wiki:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xbindkeys
>
> Or look for "tpb" (Thinkpad buttons), also for your model; cf. AUR:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tpb , and check out the "savannah"
> links. – IIRC it can even handle more buttons than the few mentioned.
>
> Michael

My issue is lower-level than this. Both xev and tpb work on the Xorg
layer and can not influence this timeout. What I am looking for is
something system-wide. I've also looked in the thinkpad-acpi kernel
source, but I haven't seen anything obvious that would explain the
timeout/duration of the button press.

Now I wonder if Lenovo made it so in the hardware...

Best regards,
Ivan