[ltp] External hard drive failing?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jun 12 12:36:46 CEST 2022

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 10:10:25PM -0500, Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> I have a Verbatim external USB 3.0 hard drive.  For the second time
> in a month, my laptop running Leap 15.3, fails to recognize when
> familiar?  Is USB port failing?  Probably not, same thing happens

USB connectors can corrode, perhaps an insulating oxide
film has grown over the contacts.  This happened to some
of my cheap flash drives.

Too cheap to waste time on, but if there was something
irreplaceable on a drive, I would clean the gold contacts
with lens paper and isopropyl alcohol.

Your problem might be zapped interface electronics.  The
hard drive inside might be fine - with a SATA interface
on the drive itself that you can connect to directly.

My guesses, worth every penny you paid for them.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com