[ltp] External hard drive failing?

Jeffrey Taylor jeff.taylor at ieee.org
Mon Jun 13 16:07:18 CEST 2022

On 6/12/22 03:09, Christoph Schmees wrote:
> Am 12.06.22 um 05:10 schrieb Jeffrey Taylor:
>> I have a Verbatim external USB 3.0 hard drive.  For the second time
>> in a month, my laptop running Leap 15.3, fails to recognize when it's
>> plugged in.  The light on the drive lights up when it's plugged in,
>> sothe drive recognizes the laptop.  The laptop is a Lenovo T520.  The
>> ports are USB 2.0. Rebooting the laptop does not help.  Shutting the
>> laptop for an hour does help. Any of this sound familiar?  Is USB
>> port failing?  Probably not, same thing happens regardless of which
>> port the hard drive is plugged into.  Hard drive failing or something
>> in the kernel messing up?
>>

> IMHO neither nor. My best guess is: USB3 device is allowed nearly
> twice the current of USB2. That may physically overload the USB2 HW in
> the laptop. That can even lead to permanent damage to the HW - BTDT.
> For my X220 I use an Express-Card USB3 adapter. That fetches extra
> current via an USB cable to be plugged into one of the USB2.
> If I were you I would stop experiments with USB3 device in USB2
> output. Instead of the Express-Card you could use an USB3 hub with
> *external* power. And make sure that power is working! One of my
> customers failed to do so. The hub and connected devices drew all
> current from the poor laptop. Result: USB2 fried.
>
> hth
> Christoph

The hard drive has an external power supply.  Just to check that the
drive is not pulling power from the USB2 port, I unplugged the drive
power supply (wall wart) and plugged it in.  Its light didn't light up
and nothing appeared in the system journal ("journalctl -f").

Thank you for the suggestion,
    Jeffrey