[ltp] External hard drive failing?

Christoph Schmees pc-fluesterer at pc-fluesterer.info
Sun Jun 12 10:09:43 CEST 2022

Am 12.06.22 um 05:10 schrieb Jeffrey Taylor:
> I have a Verbatim external USB 3.0 hard drive.  For the second time in a
> month, my laptop running Leap 15.3, fails to recognize when it's plugged
> in.  The light on the drive lights up when it's plugged in, sothe drive
> recognizes the laptop.  The laptop is a Lenovo T520.  The ports are USB
> 2.0.  Rebooting the laptop does not help.  Shutting the laptop for an
> hour does help. Any of this sound familiar?  Is USB port failing?
> Probably not, same thing happens regardless of which port the hard drive
> is plugged into.  Hard drive failing or something in the kernel messing up?

IMHO neither nor. My best guess is: USB3 device is allowed nearly twice
the current of USB2. That may physically overload the USB2 HW in the
laptop. That can even lead to permanent damage to the HW - BTDT. For my
X220 I use an Express-Card USB3 adapter. That fetches extra current via
an USB cable to be plugged into one of the USB2.
If I were you I would stop experiments with USB3 device in USB2 output.
Instead of the Express-Card you could use an USB3 hub with *external*
power. And make sure that power is working! One of my customers failed
to do so. The hub and connected devices drew all current from the poor
laptop. Result: USB2 fried.

hth
Christoph

--
Bitte keine Mails von USA-Providern wie AOL, me.com/icloud (Apple),
gmail (Google), hotmail/outlook.com (Microsoft) oder yahoo.