770z problems

Paul Phillips linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:17:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, jeffk wrote:

> What OS did the machine come with originally?  It's possible that the
> serial port is turned off - normally you'd use the Thinkpad features
> to turn it back on, but without WinXX, that's tough.  You should also
> be able to use the 'PS2' command - I'd expect that that would work if
> you booted from a DOS diskette (but you'd need to steal PS2.EXE (or
> .COM) from another TP that's got WinXX on it already)

The machine came with Win98 originally.  When you say the serial port
turned off, do you mean at some level other than that reachable via
the thinkpad configurator? Because it's definitely turned on there, I
turned it on.  I do still have Win98 on another partition, that's what
I'm using to manipulate all this stuff (not that it's doing a ton of
good so far.)

I hadn't heard of PS2, but it looks like just a command line way to
do the same thing -- running it just now says "current state: on" with
respect to the serial port.

Incidentally, my linux kernel is 2.0.36, debian standard.

--
Paul Phillips      | 80 - Disco jet
Neuron Pyro        | 90 - Trained ninjas