R: pcmcia problem on TP770ED with RH 6.0

Nico D linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:37:33 +0200

Also I do have the same problem mentioned by Chad :

When I insert a PCMCIA modem (USRobotics WorldPort V.34) the ThinkPad beeps
once and then sounds like "tk tk" once, then everything seems halted, every
window in the Gnome seems stopped, including the clock, I cannot even type
in a shell, even the Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace.
When I take off the PCMCIA card, the system beeps twice and then everything
comes back to work.

I am using RedHat 6.0 and I :
1) created the file /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia file  containing:
#!/bin/bash
PCIC_OPTS="irq_mask=0xefff"

2) in the file /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
I changed the numbers from (0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff)  to
(0x60000000-0x60ffffff)

the system still halts while the card is inserted (same sounds).

What should I do? Something I did is wrong/missed?

PS I recompiled the kernel, but I'm not able to boot with the new kernel,
since (make zlilo) tells me the kernel is too big.

Thanks in advance.  :-)

Nico
Rome, Italy