[ltp] Serial Port on TP600E

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:40:59 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Lawrence Lam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just finished installing RH6.1 to my Thinkpad 600E.  Everything works
> fine except the serial port.
>
> I check in Win98 that it uses irq 4 and base address 0x3f8.  Then I boot up
> Linux and issue the command
> 	tpctl --rs1=enable --rs1=0x3f8 --rs1=irq4
>
> Then I double check with setserial and I get
> 	/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>
> Everything looks good until I start minicom or ppp.  The modem doesn't work.
>   It is an external modem and the lights on it don't blink even once.  Looks
> like nothing is being sent to the modem.

Have you compiled serial port support as a module?  You will probably
need to unload/reload the module after having enabled the serial port.
If you compiled serial port support as a static part of the kernel,
you'll most likely need to reboot.

Hope this helps.

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>