[ltp]redhat 6.1 install prob on TP760XD

rdietric linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:00:40 -0500

Thanks for answering.  Here are the answers to your questions.

Bill Mair wrote:

> Bob Dietric wrote:
>

> > 2) After install it doesn't detect my lpt port.
>
> Docked , undocked or both ?
Docked.  I don't have a Linux config yet for the undocked
configuration.

> > 4)  I need the docking station to provide access to a Jaz drive which
> > contains the Linux swap and other part of the file system.  I thought
> > I could get an Adaptec Slim SCSI 1480A PC Bus card and run the TP
> > outside the Docking station with the Jaz connected thru the PCMCIA
> > card.  I could not get Linux to install or run in that
> > configuration.Is this because Linux is looking for the SCSI card
> > before it loads the PCMCIA module?  Is there a way around this?
>
> Ouch....
>
> AFAIK the swap partition is one of the first partions that is mounted.
>
> When "docked" the JAZ is available at boot time via the docking stationīs
> integrated SCSI interface.
>
> The SlimSCSI adapter is only available much much later in the boot
> process. I don't personally think that it is
> a good idea to have your swap partition (or any other system mount e.g.
> /boot) on a removable medium.
> Also IMHO you lose the advantage of having a removable medium when you
> can't unmount it and change it.
> Is there some dire reason for your installation being this way ?

I have a fat32 partition, 2GB for Windows 95,a fat partition, 270MB,
for data,
a boot manager partition of 4MB, and the Linux / partition of 600MB.
Thus I've used all my primary partitions on the hard drive.  I want to
use boot manager because I need to swap out Linux for OS2 on ocasion.
I once tried this with RH6.0 and nothing would boot when I replaced
the linux partition with an OS2 partition.