[ltp] Is anyone running vmware successfully?

Mark Kennedy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 08:43:13 -0400

i've been using vmware + NT on a daily basis with mair's X server for
over four months.  i've never had an X crash.  (an aside: in over
four years of linux use on a laptop, i've never seen a linux
kernel crash - ever).

the only lingering problem i have is with the responsiveness of the
trackpoint.  i can't quantify it but it always feels sluggish in
comparison to direct use under linux.  also, there are times when
the pointer on the screen appears to "warp" which suggests that
the trackpoint is generating events but the code to update the
screen location of the pointer can't keep up with it.  i've seen
at least one other message from a vmware user about this problem
on a vmware newsgroup.

but other than this - no complaints.  i only use NT
to display/print ms office suite documents, visio documents,
etc.  occassionally i run IE5 to see how it "does" something.
everything starts rapidly, displays rapidly, scrolls rapidly.
caveat: i have plenty of memory.  i should add that while
sound "worked", it never worked acceptably.  but that didn't
matter to me.

/mark